According to a new study based on a survey for children asking them about their preferred job, they chose to be doctors, It is well-known doctors have respect from the society and It is also well-known they are well paid, but is it true! Are they really well paid? This is what we will discuss here through comparing salary of doctors based on multiple factors.
Let’s start by doctor’s salary in developed countries:
- Average doctors salary in Denmark is 109.000 US$
- Average doctors salary in Switzerland is 130.000 US$
- Average doctors salary in Ireland is 143.000 US$
- Average doctors salary in France is 149.000 US$
- Average doctors salary in United Kingdom is 150.000 US$
- Average doctors salary in Canada is 161.000 US$
- Average doctors salary in Belgium is 188.000 US$
- Average doctors salary in USA is 230,000 US$
- Average doctors salary in Australia is 247.000 US$
- Average doctors salary in Netherlands is 253.000 US$
On the other hand doctors salary in countries like Egypt is just 1.400 US$ and in Cuba is 600 US$ so doctors salary there may be less than what a doctor gain in USA or Canada in just 1 week.
Average doctor’s salary range is very wide even in the same country but with different specialties, according to Medscape compensation report 2017, this is a list with average salary based on specialty in USA:
- Orthopedics: 489.000 US$
- Plastic Surgery: 440.000 US$
- Cardiology: 410.000 US$
- Urology: 400.000 US$
- ENT: 398.000 US$
- Radiology: 396.000 US$
- GIT: 391.000 US$
- Dermatology: 386.000 US$
On the other hand
- Pediatrics: 202.000 US$
- Family Medicine: 209.000 US$
- Endocrinology: 220.000 US$
- Internal Medicine: 225.000 US$
- Infectious diseases: 228.000 US$
- Psychiatry: 235.000 US$
- Rheumatology: 235.000 US$
- Neurology: 249.000 US$
Also doctors salary changes according to the city, for Example in United Arab Emirates average doctors salary in Dubai is 102.850 US$ which is much higher than other cities in Emirates, Same in a country like United States where average doctors salary in Oklahoma is 144.100 US$ while average doctors salary in Alaska is 235.600 US$.
So yes doctors are well paid in some countries but not all countries, doctors are well paid in some cities but not all cities in the same country, doctors are well paid in some specialties but not all specialties.