Obesity as a public health problem is increasing rapidly and its present scenario is frightening. This gets worse in future if not much precautions and solutions are undertaken. Obesity as known to anyone is the accumulation of excess fat in the body that negatively affects the physical as well as mental state of the person.
Effects of obesity on life:
Take care if you are on the verge of becoming an obese, you would end up regretting it forever. This is because it is much more than expanding physically to an unbearable size, it is also creating grounds for unbearable diseases. Especially people with morbid obesity are highly susceptible to other co-morbidities like type 2 diabetes, increased morbidity and mortality due to coronary heart disease, hypertension or even various types of cancer.
How to improve upon this troubled life?
If obesity is eating up your life, especially when you are young and excited about future, it is time to take stern steps. Also in children, obesity is spreading widely like a plague. Before this engulfs your child in a pool of depression and low self-esteem, save them for their betterment. For initial stages of obesity, improving and providing healthy diets will definitely be fruitful. It would deliver better and faster results when teamed up with regular physical fitness routine. A combination of these two works to decrease the excess fat and regulate it even in future.
However, for the people suffering from severe obesity, bariatric surgery is the most effective cure . Besides other methods of weight loss, this one has more benefits over others. There are many procedures to conduct this type of surgery. The most commonly practiced surgeries are:
- Gastric band surgery: In this case, the specialist doctors place a special bad, right on the upper part of the stomach, hence dividing it into two. Since the part of stomach before the band is smaller, the food it requires to fill itself with is lesser than before.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery: Also known as Roux-e-Y involves dividing of stomach into two to create a small upper stomach pouch. Difficult and more time consuming, this procedure has more promising results to give than the earlier one as observed in many cases.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: This procedure involves removal of one side of the stomach, so that the size of it reduces to resemble a narrow tube. It remains attached to oesophagus and the first part of intestine.
- Biliopancreatic Diversion: This kind of operation means removal of most of the stomach. What is left is a small pouch of stomach. Bypass of majority of small intestine also takes place, by attaching the pouch with the last part of the small intestine.
- Duodenal Switch: Similar to Biliopancreatic Diversion, the surgery initiates with sleeve Gastrectomy. What then follows is cutting of the upper part of small intestine. The experienced doctor then connects the lower part of the small intestine with duodenum.
Post this type of surgery, the weight loss noticed is remarkable. However, its complex nature demands an expert to perform it successfully on a patient.
Bariatric surgery is the best chance to get rid of obesity and its comorbities.